What is Personal Information?
“Personal Information” means information about an identifiable individual. For clarity, information that by itself cannot be connected to an identifiable individual is not considered Personal Information.
Why do we collect and use your Personal Information?
Square One collects and uses your Personal Information for the purpose of:
- promoting, offering, quoting, and selling insurance products to you;
- processing and administering your insurance policies for which we act as your agent;
- adjudicating your insurance claims;
- contacting you in compliance with the law; and,
- complying with the law.
We will limit the Personal Information we collect about you to that which is needed to meet these purposes. We will only retain your Personal Information as long as we need it to meet these purposes.
Please be aware that, as part of our use of your Personal Information, we may transfer it for processing in jurisdictions outside of Canada, which may not have laws that provide privacy protections that are substantially similar to those in Canada.
To whom and why do we disclose your Personal Information?
We will only disclose your Personal Information to:
- independent contractors of Square One or of your Insurer to investigate, assist with, or adjudicate your claim;
- consumer reporting agencies as governed by the law;
- any other third party, if mandated to do so by the law; and,
- any other third party, if you provide us with your express consent to do so.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
We collect your Personal Information:
- during all telephone conversations you have with us, which we will record only with your express consent for our mutual protection and to improve the service we offer to you;
- from all written and electronic communications you have with us;
- when you use our website;
- from any publicly or commercially available source of information; and,
- from consumer reporting agencies with your consent as required by the law.
By volunteering your Personal Information to us, you are providing your consent for us to collect, use and disclose your Personal Information as described in this policy. If you provide us with Personal Information about others, you represent that you have obtained their consent for us to collect, use and disclose their Personal Information as described in this policy.
We will make every reasonable effort to keep your Personal Information accurate and up to date.
What safeguards does Square One have in place to protect my Personal Information?
We will, at all times:
- use all reasonable physical measures, technical tools, and organizational controls at our disposal to protect your Personal Information from misuse or inappropriate disclosures; and,
What recourse do I have?
You are encouraged to contact our Compliance Officer, who is a member of our Senior Management, to:
- request access to your Personal Information in our control;
- correct any of your Personal Information that may be inaccurate;
- address any complaints you may have about our use or disclosure of your Personal Information; and,
- withdraw your consent to our use of your Personal Information.
You can also contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada if you are not satisfied with our response.
Compliance officer contact information
Square One Insurance Services Inc.
Suite 300 – 1008 Homer Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2X1
Tel: 778.331.6933 ext 100
Email: Square One Compliance